When considering who should be a ScrumMaster (a popular post on our site), I thought it might be helpful to walk through some traits to look for, or develop, in yourself or others in your organization. Who is a Servant Leader?
Three quick areas to consider on this:
- Is it all about you?
- Does it have to be your choice when a decision has to be made with the team?
- Is it okay that another idea is better than yours?
- Would you rather the team get credit for success, or yourself?
- Do you need to be needed by the team?
- Are you more concerned with your career? Or do you trust that if you do good, quality work, your career will take care of itself?
- Do you want to see others go even further than you have?
- Would you want to hear that the team did great while you were away… that they moved ahead even without you there?
- Who are your heroes in this area?
- Have you had a great manager or leader personally?
- Why were they so good?
- If you were to leave your company, what would you want people to say about you at your going-away party?
- At your eulogy?
- Coaching circle…
- Coaching Agile Teams
- Leadership Summit
- Leadership development
Where do you have structures, a cadence and habits for learning and growing? Are there opportunities to serve?
- Service trips to Mexico or Third World countries
- Junior Achievement
- Local agile events and conferences
- Soup kitchens or homeless shelters